Monday, November 8, 2010

Welcome

Hello everyone and welcome to our fundraising site.  Let me give you a little background on this project.  A few weeks ago I was contemplating writing a piece about how much I enjoyed giving back to the community during my professional career.  Since I am apparently no longer wanted by the basketball community, I decided to partner with The Movember Foundation in order to give back…And what better way to do so then growing a moustache?

I always appreciated the Movember concept.  When I was in Australia our entire team grew a moustache to raise money for charity.  Not only did I enjoy my new friend on my upper lip, but I was able to raise awareness for prostate cancer…all while looking like a young Cap’n Crunch.  This year all funds raised will go to Movember and it’s beneficiary partners the Prostate Cancer Foundation and LIVESTRONG.

The PCF uses the money raised by Movember to fund research that is accelerating the discovery of better treatments and ultimately finding a cure for prostate cancer. One such program is the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center’s research, which has recently made a significant breakthrough. They identified 24 different kinds of prostate cancer and how aggressive each is. This should enable scientists to soon be able to answer the agonizing question facing men with prostate cancer: does their cancer need immediate treatment, and if so what is the best treatment, or can it be left alone?

LIVESTRONG uses the money raised by Movember to fund important programs to support young adults and their families battling and surviving cancer.

The rules of this contest are simple.  Each competitor has been growing their facial hair over the past week.  I have allowed the facial hair to be in whatever form they would like.  Obviously the crazier the better.  What I ask from you, is to sponsor one of our "Mo Bros" It does not need to be a lot of money…A quarter a day, a dollar a day, etc.  When you sponsor a Mo Bro you not only support this incredible organization, but you will make them feel guilty about shaving just because “society” deems it inappropriate. 

I have enlisted the help of several friends and players I have stayed in touch with over the years.  Every few days we will be posting an updated picture of their facial hair with a voting poll up so you can vote for your favorite moustache.  We are starting with only 5 participants; however I am hoping that the number will grow as the days and weeks of “Movember” pass.  For anyone who is on the fence about being one of our contestants just remember; When Tom Selleck first grew a moustache, people probably told him he looked ridiculous…and now he is an American Icon.

If you would like to donate, please click here.

If you would like to become a contestant please email me at WaitingForGodunk@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment